Durham Johnston Comprehensive School

Dare to be wise




7th April 2017

Year 7

The year sevens biggest game of the season so far came in the form of the Tyneside cup final this week. They met Valley Gardens in the final a strong side who posed significant threats. The first half was very close but as it came to a close Johnston managed to grab two goals giving them strong lead at the break. Their first came from Ryan Wright after a quick break away. The second was scored by Calum who rifled the ball into the top corner from outside the box. Valley Gardens pushed hard for two goals but they couldn’t find them as the year sevens defended ruthlessly. A big congratulations to the year sevens who end the year as Tyneside champions.

Captain-Ryan Wright

Year 8

The year eights had two games this week. The first game was a cup final against Cardinal Hume. It started well for the year eights who went into a two goal lead. However, the opposition managed to bring about a comeback and got two goals before the final whistle. Extra time was on the cards but it saw an unfortunate two goal collapse for the year eights. At the end of extra time it was heart break for the year eights as they suffered a 4-2 defeat. They were unlucky in defeat and will now focus all their energy into the next cup final.

Their second game this week was a 3-2 league defeat to Sedgefield. Another unlucky defeat for the year eights, they deserved to win but it was one of those games. Onto the next game for them, in which they’re hoping to get back to winning ways.


After their defeat in the Tyneside cup semi-final last week, this week’s league cup final was the 6thform’s last chance of silver ware this season, and for some of them their last chance of silver ware in their Durham Johnston careers. Even before kick-off things looked doubtful. Many of the year 13 players had an IFS exam that finished at 4:00pm, the kick-off time for the game. Fortunately Mr Kidd used his contacts to get the game pushed back to 4:30pm allowing the year 13s a tight 30 minute turn around to get to the Maiden Castle arena where the final was being held. Another issue was that the teams manager Mr Kidd has chosen instead to attend the year sevens cup final rather than his beloved 6thformers, who had been like sons to him over the course of the season. Fortunately again things turned out to be okay for the 6thformers as Patrick Brown stepped up the role as gaffer with Mr Briggs acting as his assistant. The lads climbed onto the bus just after four to make the trip down to Maiden Castle, a special mention must go to caretaker Dennis who took time out of his afternoon to chauffeur the boys to the match. The 6thformers arrived at the venue at around 4:20, requiring a quick change into their kits. Time was becoming tight as they got to the pitch with 5 minutes before kick-off. Stand in manager Patrick used his knowledge from Sunday league warm ups to instruct the lads to sprint to the other side of the pitch and back before telling them the team. They faced a self-confident to say the least St. Leonards side in the final who had been preparing for 45 minutes to an hour before the 6thformers got out onto the pitch. The match started and Johnston were slow out the blocks with St. Leonards beating them to nearly every ball. They had keeper Josh Teggert to thank on many occasions as he pulled off some outstanding saves. Despite Leonard’s dominance they failed to find the back of the net with the back four of Johnston remaining solid throughout the half. The game was lacking that moment of magic but it was soon supplied by Joe Blackbourne who smashed an absolute screamer into the bottom corner from nearly 30 yards out. Ten minutes later the half time whistle blew. A tactical master class came in the form of Patrick Brown brining on Matthew Pinkney and Ben Trinder-Bywater to add some much needed energy to the game and the second half was underway. It went much the same way as the first with Johnston battling hard against a growingly tired and frustrated St. Leonards side. They hung on and played some good football in parts during the second half.  1-0 to Johnston was how it would end. A great result for everyone involved in the team this season and a fitting way for those leaving after their A-levels this summer.

Patrick Brown-Football Ambassador


Year 7

One game for the year sevens this week in what was a resounding 9-2 victory over Parkside. Johnston dominated the game from start to finish, creating chances along the way. The football played was simple yet very effective as was shown in the score line. The pick of the performances came from Ryan Wright who got four of the goals. The year sevens’ next game is one to look forward to with it being the semi-finals of the cup.

Captain – Ryan Wright

Year 8

The year eights had a semi-final this week against Dyke House in what was an extremely tightly contested affair. The year eights were behind going into the half time break. However, their strength of character showed as they make it 1-1 shortly after with a good finish from Alex Lythgoe. Johnston’s good work was soon undone though as they went 2-1 down. Thankfully they grabbed one back soon after and a second from Alex Lythgoe saved them from taking penalties whilst securing the 3-2 victory.

Captain – Luke Dale

Year 9

Thursday afternoon saw Johnston travel to play Parkside away in a confident mood after their last match victory against Bishop Barrington. As the game got underway, it was clear that we were the better side - knocking the ball around nicely before Kieran Coatman's low shot found its way under the Parkside keeper and into the bottom corner. Minutes later, Johnston doubled their lead when Sam Horner headed home after an excellent corner by Dan Smith, and moments afterwards, Smith assisted again with a beautiful ball over the home team's defence enabling Sam Brunton to smash the ball into the roof of the net, making it 3-0. The early lead meant the team felt they could ease off as substitutions were made and Parkside were allowed to have a short spell of pressure. However, this proved costly for the home side. As they pushed up field, Sam Brunton was able to be put through on goal, calmly rounding the goalkeeper and rolling the ball into the net to score his second (and Johnston's fourth). The referee blew for half-time signalling the end of an impressive first-half display by Durham Johnston.


As the second-half began, it was evident that the exhausting performance in the first period had tired some of our players, as it was Parkside who started the brighter side. However, their high defensive line meant they were still susceptible to counter-attacks. This pattern continued for the majority of the second-half, as both sides struggled to find any clear opportunities to give the game a fifth goal. As the clock counted down and the sun began to fade away, it seemed that the score line would remain 4-0. However, that quickly changed when the ball fell nicely to Joe Carss who poked home after a scramble in the box, and moments later the illuminous pink ball was in the Parkside net again, after Cameron Bushby hammered it into the top corner after rebounding off the bar. Sam Brunton then had a glorious opportunity to grab his hat-trick but could only hit the side-netting with only the keeper to beat. A dipping shot over the head of keeper Thomas Graham clawed one back for the hosts but it wasn't enough to dampen the mood of the players in what was a well-earned 6-1 victory for Johnston.


James Richardson 9HH

Patrick Brown-Football Ambassador




Year 7

One game for the year sevens this week against Bishop Barrington in what was originally a tough match to start out with. However two goals from Ryan wright, one from Dominic, one from Harrison which was his first of the season and two own goals sealed a 6-2 for Johnston. The year sevens hadn’t had a game for a while now and looked a bit rusty to start off with, but as the first half progressed they started to gel together. By the time the final whistle came they were winning comfortably and the score line showed it.

Captain Ryan Wright

Year 8

The year eights had two games this week. The first was a 5-0 victory against St Thomas Moore in the quarter final of the cup, a team considered to be a decent side. A special mention is given to Jake who pulled off some good saves to keep a clean sheet and to Leo Garbutt who provided some excellent finishing.

The year eights second game this week was a resounding 10-1 victory against Bishop Barrington in the league that proved to be a no contest in the end. An all-round excellent team performance was capped off by Henry McGuiness who grabbed a goal and two assists.

Luke Dale

Year 9

In the year nines game this week they won 6-2 against Bishop Barrington. The goals came from Gabriel McCall, Ollie Carrs, Joe Carrs, Sam Horner and two from Jonathan Kelly. Johnston dominated the first half and went in at half time 4-1 up with the game practically sealed. However Bishop Barrington dominated the second half and it wasn’t until late on that the year nines grabbed their remaining two goals. Kieran Coatman and Sam Brunton shared the man of the match award. The victory sends the year nines away to Sedgefield next week in which could be a title decider.

James Richardson

Year 10

Out of all the games played this week the year tens game against Bishop Barrington was the most hard fought victory. Sol got them off to a good start pegging them up 1-0 going into the break. However soon after Barrington equalised and Johnston had to work hard to get that winning goal. It came from Dylan in the end, who lobbed the keeper to seal a 2-1 win.

Year 11

Durham Johnston vs Bishop Barrington Year 11

It was a slow start to the game with both teams quite evenly matched for the first 15 minutes. However it went 1-0 then 2-0 to Durham Johnston with two quick goals. It looked as though we would see out the first half until two wonder strikes from Bishop Barrington mad it go to 2-2 just before half time. The second half kicked off and Durham Johnston went 3-2 up very quickly from kick off, the second half was dominated by Johnston and the final score was 8-3. It was a very good performance and we remain unbeaten in the league.

Goal scorers:

Dan Ferguson-6

Lewis Smith-1

James O’Neill-1


Having not played a competitive match since the Christmas break the 6thform team were very rusty. The game against the Durham 6thform centre was one of scrappiest ever witnessed with the pitch in a poor condition, restricting the free flowing football the sixth formers normally produce. Stand in goalkeeper James Calkin was regularly quick off his line to sweep up behind the back four and made some good punches to clear his lines. Most of the play was in the air with long balls being sent into both boxes. The 6thformers competed fearlessly and challenged for every ball against what was a very competitive opposition. With the game approaching half time and still 0-0 the breakthrough was provided by Thomas Calvert. Having being placed on the left wing and not his favoured striking role Thomas was disappointed to say the least. However with his brand spanking new white boots he galloped down the line to the back post to finish off a cross put into him after his first effort hit the goal keeper from three yards out. The 6thformers went into half time possibly quite fortunate to be leading 1-0; in spite of this the Durham 6thform centre did not deserve to be winning either. Johnston’s concentration dropped and the 6thform centre equalised shortly after half time. This was how the game would end, a very boring 1-1 draw. Hopefully the next game will produce a more positive result.

Patrick Brown-Football Ambassador






Y7 Futsal Match v St Leonards


Durham Johnston vs St. Leonard's


League Table Finished 

1 – Durham Johnston Whites 

2 – Durham Johnston Stripes 

3 – St. Leonard's 1

4 – Durham Johnston Reds

5 – St. Leonard’s 2 


Every team had a very tough start to the games. The first game was DJ Stripes vs St Leonard's 2 where DJ won. The second game was DJ Reds vs St. Leonard's 1 and St Leonard's won. The next game was DJ Whites vs DJ Stripes, DJ Stripes won. St Leonard's 2 vs St Leonard's 1. St Leonard's 1 won. DJ Stripes vs DJ Reds, Stripes won. The play offs were St Leonard's vs DJ Reds. St Leonard's won but it was on penalties. The final was DJ Whites vs DJ Stripes. This was a very close game with a final score of 3-3. It went to penalties where DJ Whites came out on top. 

Thanks to St Leonard's for coming. 


Captain, Ryan Wright. 





Football Report

Year 7 – five-a-side tournament

The year sevens took part in a five aside tournament this week in which they featured in four games. Their first being a 1-1 draw against Ferryhill with Ryan Wright grabbing Johnston’s only goal of the game, in what was a closely fought encounter. By the time of their second game the year sevens had adapted to the surface and this showed with them beating Barrington 5-0, with Ryan Wright scoring four and Will getting the fifth. In their third game the year sevens beat Sedgefield 3-1 in a strong performance against a decent Sedgefield side, the goals came from Ryan Wright once again who got two and James who got the other. In their fourth and final game the year sevens faced their toughest test of the day so far in the shape of a strong Parkside team. Johnston took the lead through Ryan Wright but were pegged back by a penalty, only for Ryan Wright to score a last minute penalty to ensure the year sevens a 2-1 win. Meaning they went home undefeated and are through to play King James in the next round.

Captain-Ryan Wright


Patrick Brown-Football Ambassador







Year 7

The year sevens had one game this week in which they faced Cramlington in a cup match. Johnston put out a good performance but it unfortunately wasn’t enough as they suffered a 3-1 defeat to put them out the competition. With more clear cut chances Johnston arguably deserved the win but three lapses in concentration ended with three goals being conceded, with Ryan Wright getting the consolation goal from the year sevens. 

Captain-Ryan Wright


Year 8

The year eights also had a cup match this week in which they faced Ashington.  Unfortunately they are also out of the competition and were very unlucky as they suffered a 3-2 defeat against a side with a very poor attitude. To add to the pain the winning goal came late on but the year eights can be proud as this was only their first loss of the season in what is a tough competition.

Captain-Luke Dale


Produced by Patrick Brown-Football Ambassador  






Football Report

Year 7

The year sevens had one match this week against King James. They dominated the first half and had loads of chances, however they struggled to find the net until the end of the half and thankfully they went in at half time a goal to the good. Things picked up in the second half with six goals, a particular highlight being Ryan Wright’s hatrick. Some well worked corner routines also payed fruitful as the year sevens secured a 7-0 win.

Captain-Ryan Wright

Year 8

The year eights secured a 10-1 victory against Manor Academy this week in the county cup which takes them through to the next round. A fine team performance and a hatrick from Max McKay were particular highlights as Johnston were dominant throughout.

Luke Dale

Year 9

The year nines beat King James 9-0 this week in one of their performances of the season with a lotof the team chipping in with goals to complete s very strong performance.

Year 10

The year tens travelled to Gateshead to play Cardinal Hume this week. They had to start the game with ten men but Dylan and Robert came to save the day. They had a quick start with Dan finding the back of the net after a lofted free kick from Joe, however Johnston weren’t leading for long as the opposition equalised. Johnston managed to secure the win though, as two more goals followed to cap off a fine performance and a 3-1 victory.

Owen Chaplin


Patrick Brown-Football Ambassador



Year 7

The year sevens had one game this week against Teesdale in which they ran out 5-3 winners. The goals came from Dominic (3), James (1) and Ryan (1). They found themselves 3-1 down at half time but pure desire and commitment meant that they brought it back in what was a crucial win towards hopefully a first league title for the year sevens.

Captain-Ryan Wright

Year 9

The year nines also faced Teesdale this week, a side who they’ve never faced before so the unexpected was expected. However it became very clear quite quickly that Johnston were the stronger side and dominated the game from the start going into the break 3-0 up. The second half started as the first half did with Johnston scoring quickly from a corner with Kieran Coatman getting his first hatrick for the team. The fantastic team performance was rounded off by Dan Smith who wrapped up a 6-0 victory for the Johnston.

James Richardson


Unfortunately there’s not much to say about the 6thform this week who were filled with optimism before facing St. Thomas Moore. This optimism was quickly crushed however as we started badly and went into the break 4-0 down. A thorough justified ‘telling off ‘ from Mr Kidd at half time spurred us on to get one goal back but ironically it was an own goal that summed up the performance. Hopefully next game is a more encouraging performance.

Patrick Brown-Football Ambassador


Year 7

The year seven’s had two games this week with the first being their league game against St. Johns. The year seven’s drew 2-2 with Ryan Wright and Dominic McCabe getting the goals in what was a closely fought contest. They’re best spells came in the first and final fifteen minutes but it wasn’t enough to get them the win.

Their second game of the week came in the form of the national cup against an apparent unknown team. This did not affect the year seven’s however as they comfortably swept them aside 8-2 to pass safely through to the next round.

Year 8

The year eight’s had one game this week against St. Johns which is being described as one of the best team performances so far this season due to them carrying out an 8-0 demolition. St Johns were a physical threat but this posed no match for the year eight’s. A special mention goes to Leo Garbutt getting two goals and to goalkeeper Jake Holf who kept a clean sheet despite an injury.

Year 9

The year nine’s played St. Johns this week in what was a physical 1-1 draw. Johnston scored early on from a free kick and went into half time one goal to the good. As the second half started both teams were becoming a lot more physical and mid-way through the second half Johnston conceded a penalty that was dispatched by St. Johns. With saves being made from both goalkeepers this is how it finished.

Year 10

The year ten’s won their game this week 1-0 against St. Johns with Max Blackbourne grabbing the only goal in the first five minutes. With both teams considered to be two of the best in the league the result is likely to have an effect on who becomes this year’s winner with the year ten’s hoping to complete their back to back league wins.

VIth Form

St John's vs Durham Johnston


There was much anticipation amongst the lads as we set off on our travels to the ever sunny Bishop Auckland. A high quality pitch awaited as well as a high quality side. We arrived and the ever present overcast but thankfully not windy conditions welcomed us. We raced through our entirely unprofessional and short warm up and got things underway. It didn't take long for it to become apparent that their plan was pass it around the back and make their way up the field every 15 minutes or so! They forced a good save out of Josh Teggart early on with the man in the sticks producing one of his trademark extravagant dives to tip the ball out for a corner. We then broke up the field with Joe Severs forcing a save with the St John's keeper getting down low to stop one heading for the corner. The breakthrough then came when one of  their midfielders found himself in acres of space on the edge of the 18 yard box and he slotted it into the bottom right corner. The game was still pretty even with them having a bit more of the ball but not really doing much with it.

Half time came and Jose John Kidd Mourinho went through our game plan and tactics and made some tactical changes for the second half. The manager's genius didn’t take long to take effect with more and more chances falling to the away side even with Reece's banana foot down the right hand side. The game followed this trend all the way until there was around 2 or 3 minutes left and again the manager's tactical expertise payed dividends when he made the bold decision to move defender Paul Le Fevre further up the field. Thanks to Johnston pressing high up the field and putting the home side's keeper under pressure he fluffed his lines when clearing and the ball arrowed straight towards Le Fevre. As calm as you like he ran onto it and slotted a shot under the helpless keeper taking the scoring to 1-1. With the referee's head in his hands, we knew St John's' morale was low. The final whistle came and it was a point each in the league but this was a league and cup double so straight to penalties it went to decide who would progress.

"Don't all volunteer at once" Mr. Kidd joked as about three hands went up when we were asked who would take one. The order was decided and it was Fergus Hawes who stepped up first and drilled one into the corner, keeper had no chance. St John's scored and Joe Severs was next with some fine saves by the very same keeper to keep him out in normal time fresh in his mind. With that in mind he passed one past the keeper who stood still, "I was in his head" he claimed. The home sided then missed theirs thanks to a fantastic Teggart save with hsi legs and it was advantage Johnston. Joe Blackbourne was next but he was unsuccessful and it was all square. Reece ......... was next, determined to make up for some questionable play during the game and he did just that. Without hesitation he fired one into the far right corner, the manager had faith the whole time. After St John's converted theirs, it was up to Dan Clark to guarantee either sudden death or a win. With tension high he calmly nailed the ball past the keeper but so did the home side. Oskar Mattaa then stepped with the added pressure of sudden death but that didn’t phase him and we had the advantage.  St John's bottled it at the crucial stage, missed their penalty and Durham Johnston progressed to the next round of the cup.

Special mentions go to Paul Le Fevre for his match saving goal, Reece ….... for the best penalty of the shoot out and Robert Mitchell for his solely first half contribution, maybe go for a run or two Rob.


Patrick Brown, Football Captain and Ambassador






Year 7

The year sevens played two games this week. The first being a tight 5-4 away from home victory against St. Aiden’s in the cup which went to extra time with Ryan Wright (3) and Dominic McCabe (2) bagging the goals.

Their second game was 3-1 victory at home against Whitworth that involved some great goals from Ryan Wright (1), Tom (1) and James (1) which ensured their second win of the week.

Year 8

The year eight’s also pulled off two victory’s this week. The first coming against in a free scoring 8-5 win against Whitworth in which they were originally winning 7-1.

In their second game the year eight’s comfortably beat St. Wilfreds 8-1 to carry them through into the next round of the county cup, with a hat-trick from Alex Lythgo getting a special mention.

Year 9

The year nine’s hung onto a 3-2 win against Whitworth to claim their first win of the week. After the score being 1-1 at half time they secured the win by scoring two goals in quick succession only for Whitworth to get one back with 5 minutes to go setting up a tense finish.

In their second game of the week the year nine’s played Longfield. After an apparent mistake by the Johnston the year nine’s were 1-0 down at half time. Unfortunately their situation didn’t improve as they were beaten 4-0 after three second half goals from Longfield.

Year 10

The year ten’s won their first game of the week with a 3-1 victory against Whitworth with Sol, Max and Joseph getting the goals. They carried on their good form into their second game where they beat Shotton 2-1 with Max getting both goals.

Year 11

The year eleven’s played one game this week against Woodham where they won 8-3. They dominated throughout, especially in the second half, despite having no subs for the game.


The 6thformers faced Harton in the senior knock out cup this week. Despite being notorious for their love of rugby, Johnston matched Harton physically throughout the game. Within the first five minutes Johnston were up 1-0 with Tom Calvert’s and Robert Mitchell’s game of head tennis ending up with Tom lobbing the opposition goalkeeper. Intense celebrations followed from Tom who showed he was up for the game. The game finished 1-0 with Johnston progressing into the next round after a drab second half.


Patrick Brown, Football Ambassador



VITH form Season Ending Review


The season started with trials, who would Mr Kidd pick? MathewMitchell impressed Sir with his own goal overhead kick!

                                    First game, Durham VITH form centre, a derby,We took the lead, then defended the whole game calmly.

Next up were St. Leonards and the return of Josh Kell, Another clean sheet and the team gel.

Up to Sunderland and we discovered Eshmel’s humongous throw, Josh Bayley scoring on the end of it, for the opposition a massive blow.

This same game produced Zane Stockil’s amazing skill run, His glasses fell off his vision was none.

Still a fortress at the back, would we ever concede? It all came crashing down when the 6”9 South Moor goalie was freed.

The last game before winter, and some players had an IFS test, Despite them leaving at half time, St Bedes couldn’t stop our cup quest.

The start of 2016, brought a Futsal tournament with Joe Barker “killing it”, He was not alone as Gradey Fairburn was also “bringing it”

Third and fourth playoff was Park View vs Park View, one player tried a rainbow flick,He celebrated with his top above his head, slipped and looked like a huge… fool.

The Futsal trophy coming home was guaranteed, Upper vs lower VITH, who would succeed?  

Playing against your heroes must be a big deal, 2-0 to upper VITH with a Mitchell Richardson assisted back-heel.

Lower VITH were on top later in the game, But it was too little too late, only room for the Upper VITH in the hall of fame.

First semi-final was St Johns away, Sonny Childs stepped up with a save inspired by David de Gea.

Patrick Brown did some desperate defending with his hand, Throughout the season his decisions have not been bland.

St. Leonards visit again, we were 3-1 down at half time,The team argued at first, but our comeback was sublime.

The quintuple dream came to an end, St Thomas Moor beat us with a late goal which was hard to comprehend.

This came was played on an extremely boggy pitch, Zane only lasted 6 minutes, then started calling out “Mitch”

Tom Calvert no longer allowed to comment on our record before a match, The following week we lost again, we were truly in a rough patch.

St Bedes away with our confidence lacking, Josh, scored 2 and provided a goal line clearance, he was cracking.

Robert Mitchell broke a personal defending curse, Joe Severs produced an outrageous dive, it couldn’t have been any worse.

We had a revenge opportunity against St Thomas Moor, Crossbar challenge before the match, and in the game we were poor.

Any chance of winning the league was hanging on a thread, A tired second half with only 11 men, the dream of winning the league went down like a balloon of lead.

I have to include Mitchell’s penalty miss, But he did score a FIFA style one this season if you reminisce.

2 games left, one for a trophy and one for pride, Final ever game at home, a few players cried.

Joe Severs scored 3, and Joe Barker got involved, Joe Barkers scars with St Johns are resolved.

James Lister made a poster for the final showing off TC7, It worked to some extent bringing in an attendance of about eleven.

The final was upon us and it was a huge occasion, Going two behind wasn’t part of the equation.

Joe Barker stepped up to the plate and blasted the ball into the net, Only one behind, we are looking like a threat.

2-1 down and we give a penalty away, are the chances of winning the cup put to bed? Sonny dives the correct way, he was in the strikers head.

We over committed and got penalised, the deficit extended to two, We dominated in the second half but couldn’t get the break through.

It’s not the way we wanted the season to end, now we all needed some time to mend.

That rounds up the season of 2015/16,For the fans favourites VITH form team.










Football Match Review 22ndApril


                           There were many big games played this week, the Year 10s  won 2-1 in extra time against Parkside in the Ben Potts-semi-final. The Year 7s  once again had a comfortable victory, this time 4-0 against Sedgefield in the league cup semi-final. They now are looking to win this and cement the quintuple! Sadly the year 8s  lost 5-1 in their league cup semi-final.

Football ambassador, Sonny Childs


Football Match Review 15thApril


12thof April, the success of the VITH form’s season comes down to one game. The league cup final vs St Roberts. If you can’t remember the score last time they played us it was 5-1 to them, so we had our work cut out.

It was impossible not to get excited for the game: the private dressing room, the late kick off under flood lights, dugouts, and actual qualified referees and linesmen. Some players took it a little too far entering the building with a wash bag and headphones on!

Inspiration was easy to come by in the changing room, thanks to some unforgettable Hartlepool FC heroic photos on the wall.

Kick off and I am not going to lie, I didn’t enjoy the 4G pitch, very slippery and resulted in a fast pace game. This played into St Roberts’s advantage especially with their rapid striker. We were struggling from the off, the opposition spread us wide on the spacious pitch and we were very lucky to stay level through the first fifteen minutes. A chance fell to their number 9 who caught a volley flush off a diagonal ball, thankfully into the side netting. This was followed by the same player taking it past me, but he was brought to ground with my arms. Somehow the referee didn’t see it and we dodged a penalty. Looking like luck is on our side, will we make it count?

We were sitting very deep and struggling to relieve pressure, finally we buckled from an identical diagonal ball and volley from their number 9 who caught it just as pure as before and this time scored. Shortly after the second was conceded, number 9 again, this time on the edge of the box. We gave him too much room allowing him to get a shot off, which got deflected just evading my arm into the corner.

2-0 down in a final is never ideal, but it offered Joe Baker his final chance to redeem himself from that miss in year eleven (it’s my last ever chance to bring it up!). Joe, killing it, produced a moment of brilliance, when the ball bobbled out to him around the penalty shot. He blasted it and the ball manged to miss every player in the box and the keeper’s hands. 2-1 Joe rallies the team, this is just what we needed.

Half time draws in, momentum on our side and some football shaped party rings with some McVitie’s. All we need for a second half comeback.

The score line gave an opportunity for someone to step up and become a school legend. Tom Calvert will be remembered in this game not for a goal, but for his ruthless challenges and temper! Probably got inspired by the Anthony Joshua fight at the weekend.

Despite us being on top, the St Roberts number 9 found himself behind our back four and one on one with me. He had the opportunity to cut the ball back to his teammate, but anticipating that he was greedy and wanted the goal himself I held my ground then sprung out at just the right time to keep us in the game.

All we needed to do was put a shot on target and be first to the rebound as it was far too wet to catch the ball. But we didn’t and minutes later we gave a penalty away. I love a penalty, especially when the player puts the ball down then looks at a corner. I am so far inside his head that I know which way he is going, what his favourite colour is, and what he is having for dinner! He goes the opposite side to the corner he looked and I’m there to stop it. Massive moral boost, time to get the equalizer.

Holding the majority of possession and looking comfortable at the back. I started to think that we might actually pull this back. These chances got slashed when some miscommunication on the edge of the box between Mitchell Richardson and Josh Bayley led to a St Roberts player slipping in a through ball. With too much goal to cover the dream of winning the League Cup seemed to be crumbling.

Having nothing to lose, we changed the formation up to three at the back. A few more set pieces provided us with a threat on goal, however only a threat as we still couldn’t hit the target.

The final nail in the coffin. Once again their number 9. He got in behind and turned on his turbos taking it round me and squeezed it in.

The fact that we couldn’t compete till the end with a chance of winning was frustrating, but it allowed the game to relax and open up. We loosened up and started to enjoy our last game of the season and school for some of us. Patrick Brown’s way off enjoying the game was by trying to get as many fouls as possible!

Disappointing end to the season, not winning this game is defiantly one on my sporting regrets. We deserved more from the season but at least the upper VITH won the Futsal Competition!

I’ll be back next week with a special season review, for the last instalment of the VITH form 2015/16 season.



The year 9s  had a disappointing defeat against Whitworth. We were the better team, defended well, passed brilliantly, and had more chances. Unfortunately Whitworth were clinical with their two chances.

This loss was made worse by the fact that we should have taken the lead in the first half. The ball crossed the line and a defender cleared it, from virtually inside the net, however the referee didn’t call it a goal.

We dominated in the second half but the game didn’t go our way, despite us fighting hard.

The players commented after the game on the attackers. They thought Daniel chased down defenders and set an example up top, but they could do with Liam putting away his chances.


Durham Johnston vs Dyke House for the year 7sin the county cup semi-final. Another easy game for them, with lots of goals. Charlie Phillips started the ball rolling with a goal. This was followed by Joe Hugill , to make it 2-0. Shortly after the third came and the game looked wrapped up before half time.

Dyke House managed to get a goal back; thankfully Oli Stewart sealed the win. It will certainly take a good team to have any chance in beating us in the final.   


Football ambassador, Sonny Childs




Football Review 24thMarch


The league dream is over after a 4-1 defeat to Wickham for the VITH Form. It was closer than it sounds and if anything we deserved a result from the game. We only had 11 players so the late flourish of goals maybe due to our fatigue.

Wickham took the lead, the ball somehow got played through the cluster of players in and around the box. The shot hit my knee but it wasn’t enough of a deflection to deter the ball from going in.

After conceding we have had a tendency to collapse (we still do, wait till the second half) but after our bad form we are no strangers to going behind and we were the more deadly team following this. Josh Bayley darting through midfield was creating all kinds of problems for the Wickham defence and eventually they buckled with a rash challenge on Josh giving us a penalty. Mitchell Richardson stepped up, hit it into the corner, where the goal keeper make a solid first save then gets up in time to make the second. Impressive but rather annoying.

We were still the greater threat with Robert Mitchell wrapping his foot around an awkward cross but the keeper denying us the goal again. Joe Barker was hungry to start “killing it”, unfortunately the cross bar stopped his header from going in.

Frustrating, but definitely an improvement on our previous games from when we have gone behind.

The next half brought a change of keeper for Wickham, big shoes to fill and he must have been feeling the pressure. Being aware off this we wanted to gamble on any rebounds. This came from a set piece. Patrick Brown curled the ball around the wall and it took a bounce in front of the keeper, he spilled it up into the air where Joe Barker like a fast tortoise was onto the ball first and finished it.

1-1 should have been time to build on the momentum we had and put the game to bed. Well after this we were very loose at the back. Starting with a fumbled clearance from Patrick. 2-1. Then three unmarked men at one side of the box which led to me being beaten near post (this is paining me to put on the internet) 3-1. Finally Wickham got another to make it three goals in 5 minutes. Sigh.


Wednesday was the final league game of the season, and my and other upper VITH formplayers last ever game at home. There wasn’t a better team to play than St Johns who have been massive competition since year 7.

Another IFS exam meant three players would come down to the game when they finished. We should have still had 11 men for the start but Gradey Fairburn went to the toilet and managed to come back 20 minutes later!

So we kicked off with ten and held out till the backup arrived. A goal was immanent and it came from a surprisingly big goal kick from me (due to my new old boots from eBay), Joe Severs flicked it onto himself and put it passed the keeper. Our second goal came shortly after, a David Beckham esk free kick from James Lister met the fresh substitute Josh Bayley to score with his first touch of the game. Josh felt like his work was done so after an ankle knock 40 seconds later he went off.

The third came from Joe Barker. Now we all know Joe’s history with St Johns and that open goal which he missed so we lost the league. Seriously let’s stop bringing that up, he’s trying to move on. Joe scoring with his weaker foot in the bottom corner making it two goals for him this season against St Johns will really help covering the mental scars!

Joe Severs put away two more in the second half to claim the match ball with a hat trick. Great to see him hitting some form before the final and being able to finish a penalty calmly, you never know it might come down to that in a couple of weeks’ time.

This game was what we needed, plenty of goals, clean sheet and our striker scoring. Role on the final on the 12thof April at Maiden Castle 4:30 kick off. It could be the perfect way to end our season. So plenty of fitness training over Easter and not too many chocolate eggs for us!


Football ambassador, Sonny Childs















Football Review 18thMarch



The Friday game for the VITH Form  was at St Bede’s. We were the first to the pitch, so had plenty of time to warm up. This showed, as we started very promising but were lacking the final pass that led to a goal. Two outside of the box shooting chances fell to Joe Barker… some say the balls are still rising now!

Towards the end of the half we were under the cosh and a Bede’s winger found himself in our box, he crossed it and the ball was met by his teammate. Thankfully Josh Bayley was on the line to head it clear.

Half time. Quick talk about the lush 2004/5 premier league ball we were using, and a worrying fact that Robert Mitchell has never played a game in defence without scoring an own goal.

The breakthrough came from a set piece. It went deep, but Joe Barker kept it in and found Gradey Fairburn who put the ball back into the mixer. Josh Bayley with an exceptional touch took the ball down then buried it. 1-0 and our nerves settle.

The second followed shortly after with James Lister on the corner, who zipped it in with back spin. Josh Bayley rose and banged in his second. With his goal line clearance in the first half, in my eyes he got a hat-trick.

Little action for me in goal, apart from one shot where I casually stuck my arm out to stop the ball. I was confident that it was missing but anything to increase the saves on the statistics!

Gradey got his second assist of the game when a St Bede’s defender completely missed the ball on a clearance, leaving it for Gradey who cut it across the box to James. James tapped it in for his 9ththis season.

Zane Stockil came on the field with the goal to last longer than his last game! Despite his tight shin he achieved it. Maybe the reason was the change of boots or since he was trying to impress someone on the side line. Nevertheless a much better performance.

Final moment worth mentioning was Joe Severs’s belated dive in the box. I would say it disgusting to see in the game, however it was quite majestic. So it was a good win, the three goals and the clean sheet will help the confidence and ease the pain of the previous two losses.


On Tuesday night the VITH form had a chance of revenge against St Thomas Moor. Preparation for the game was crossbar challenge and some partyrings. We were initially asleep from kick off, a Thomas Moor player managed to run straight through and get a shot away, but it was well wide. It was a similar story to our game on Friday as we struggled to find that pass which gave us a real shooting opportunity. Thinking about the game now I don’t think we had a shot on target… quality. So as you can tell we didn’t get a goal and we conceded 4.

The first went in just before half time, via a through ball into the box, few calls for offside, the striker carried on I made the save down to my right but the rebound was picked up and finished. Our response on the pitch after this wasn’t great; we were forcing it and constantly giving the ball back to Thomas Moor.

When the second went in from a free header we seemed just to stop and give up. Need to get this attitude ironed out before the final. So the final result 4-0 and if the winner of the league comes down to goal difference this throw away game may be expensive.

With the game gone there was some more creative play. I’ll start it off with Robert Mitchell’s attempted fancy flick around the defender and then run around the other side. It lacked execution as the flick went straight into the defenders chest!

Next up was James Lister he tried a run with various skills on his way, only to end up on the floor!

Finally I brought some footwork to the table; I received a back pass, waited until the Thomas Moor striker chased me down. Then I more or less humiliated him with a sublime bit of trickery, which I would love to share but it’s just too advance to put into words!

Anyway the date for the only final we are in has been announced. The 12thof April at Maiden Castle’s 4G pitch under the flood lights. Love to see you there for some support, and some chants!        



Football Review 11thMarch



Well, the VITH formteam crashed out of another cup in the semi-final against St Roberts. I am only going to focus on the positives this week, so expect less than a paragraph.

First half we looked solid, and we took the lead with a corner from James Lister which found Jacks Vaulks (who played a crucial role in dampening the St Roberts number 9). Tom Calvert claimed some credit for this goal after the game, since he was distracting the keeper. Later Joe Severs had to come off due to a nose bleed from a knock, which was a shame as he was holding the ball up well. This rough play carried on throughout the game resulting in some cards being thrown around from the referee.

We have to play against St Roberts in the league and in the final of the last cup we are in. So there is chances for redemption. We have a game this Friday in the league; this will be massive as we need a good result and preferably a clean sheet to boost morale.


Football ambassador, Sonny Childs



Football Review 4thMarch


The VITH form’s quintuple dream has come to an end with us losing our first game. St Thomas Moor were the team that beat us in the Tyneside cup semi-final.

Our team was looking thin, couple were injured and another was at a university interview. Also Ben Trinder-Bywater had a bad back so booked in a chiropractor appointment. But with less than an hour till the end of school he told Mr Kidd that he would cancel the appointment run to his house and back within 15 minutes! Well after some waiting on the bus he couldn’t make it in time so we set off another player down.

So we are at the pitch, I have never played on a ground so saturated, but it had decent views of Gateshead. In the huddle before the game we had a spark of fire and aggression from Tom Calvert when discussing the number of games Thomas Moor had lost.

We did not start great, losing many headers in midfield and we looked timid. In these conditions the standard of football is never going to be great and only playing 30 minute halves it was half time and nothing noticeable happened.

Jack Vaulks had to leave at half time since he was playing in another game that night. So we had to shuffle the team around. Thomas Moor went 1-0 up with a short corner which caused us to get unorganised and as the ball entered the box there was three unmarked men.

This seemed to get us to play better, we put in a string of passes and eventually the chance presented itself to Mathew Mitchell who took no chances and laced the ball into the roof on the net.

This should swing the game our way, but after kick off the opposition upped their game, and a Thomas Moor player had too much room on the edge of the box he fired the shot. It was in the corner, however  I should have gotten there. I semi committed to it and its haunting me now.

To the brighter side and it was the return of Zane Stockil who’s been out due to a bad bicep injury. He came on and 10 minutes later starts calling out “Mitch…Mitch” (who is on the side line but in his uniform since he is injured) Zane continues to walk off the pitch requesting a sub. Only Tom is on the bench and thankfully recovered from his knock in the game so he swapped with Zane. Who knows what we would have done if Tom wasn’t able to play!

Another funny moment was when a shot came in on the floor I dove and because of the shocking pitch the ball bounced up and hit me in the face. I’ll put that down do great technique.

In summary, we have to use this loss to fuel ourselves and win the other 3 competitions we are still in. I’m a big fan of Tiger Woods mentality in ‘ego protecting’ so here’s a list of excuses to blame the loss on:

  • The boggy pitch

  • Playing with a yellow ball

  • The bumpy scenic route the bus took

  • It was mock exam week

  • Bayern Munich also lost so it was a night of upsets


The year 9s had two games the first in the league against Teesdale on a 9 aside pitch with terrible bobbles and boggy pitches. We battled hard as the conditions didn’t allow us to play much good football. We took the lead when a ball was played to Alfie and he placed it in the bottom corner. Goals were hard to come by in the first half, so only a slender 1-0 lead was taken into half time.

The tempo of the game changed in the second half, we managed to find our rhythm and soon the goals were flying in left right and centre. Moyo bagged two headers from Alfie’s corners then he went on to win a penalty and calmly slotted in to the keepers right.

The scoring continued with Lewis getting the 5thfrom close range. Moyo wasn’t done yet either he grabbed another from inside the box to seal the 6-0 victory. A solid second half performance we extend our 100% record in the league and are yet to concede.

The second game for the year 9s was a semi-final, and they make the trek to South Shields to play St Wilfred. In the first half we ended up scoring a quick goal by Liam due to some skill on the wing. We doubled our lead just before the end of the first half as Max took a free-kick which the keeper spilt and Felix was the first to react.

St Wilfred were not going to let their chance of silverware go, they got one goal back but we held out till the final whistle. We look forward to the final!


The strong year 7salso played Teesdale in the league on probably the worst pitch they had ever played on (noticeable theme here this week). We won with goals from Yann McGowann, Oli Stewart and Leo Garbutt. It was a tough game but we came out victorious.


The year 11s won against Teesdale with only ten men, Joe Blackbourne scoring with a penalty in the second half.

Finally Sunnydale conceded all 3 games against year 8, 10 and11.




Football ambassador, Sonny Childs




Football Review 26thFebruary


8 goal thriller in this week’s VITH form game in the league. Despite going behind for the first time this season, we showed great character and managed to square it up 4-4.

It was the return of St. Leonards who we beat 2-0 last time we faced them in the cup. Our line-up was different to last time, especially as Josh Baily was injured, so there was a void in midfield.

To make the room for 8 goals in the game, we started it off very early with a goal from Joe Barker, getting on the end of a signature long Eshmel throw. It seems Joe is still on hot form from the Futsal tournament!

However after this, the void in midfield was overwhelmed by the Leonards team. They bombarded us with long balls and got our defenced turned. We were scraping by with our post stepping up and denying a Leonard’s player a tap in from three yards out. I managed to save a few one on ones but the constant possession and time the opposition had on the ball was too much to handle and in a flash we were 2-1 down. This started some comments being thrown around from the strikers to the defence. In my eyes it looked as if people did not know their jobs, whether if they should track back or stay up. This caused a massive gap in midfield which cost us.

We did have a fair shout of chances many coming from corners and throw-ins, utilising our aerial advantage. We didn’t score from these chances and if anything made it worse for us. As we would get hit on the counter attack with little tracking back from forward players. This lead them to get the third goal we sparked more discussion. The half time whistle couldn’t come quick enough.

It was an alien situation for us to be in, 3-1 down at half time and not playing well. Mr Kidd did well to calm everyone down.

Straight off we looked much better as a unit. Our second goal came early again, with a long Mitchell Richardson throw in this time, and James Lister putting in the net.

3-2 and our confidence is growing, we get a free kick from the half way line that Mitchell takes. He launches it into the uncertain area between keeper and the line of defence. No one moves and the ball bounces into the goal without their keeper moving a muscle. 3-3 Leonards are silenced.

Momentum is on our side, but we couldn’t find a goal to take the lead. The post came to our aid once again!

A long ball comes to the edge of my box putting me in a sticky situation. I make the save but it falls to the feet of a Leonard’s player, who lobs me. In hindsight I wished a handballed it Patrick did the other week.

It was vital that we didn’t give Leonards the 3 points as it would hinder our chances of winning the league.

We were pushing hard and a chance fell to Joe Severs who ran through and cut the ball across to James Lister who slotted it in.

Big relief, I wouldn’t say we deserved 3 points but a draw was a very fair result.

For us! We absolutely robbed St Leonards and keep our unbeaten status.

The Year 8splayed against Greenfield, although lacking players we managed to comfortably beat a feisty Greenfield side. Johnston started well and missed a golden opportunity to go ahead when Jonny Bowes’ shot was blocked with the goal gaping. However we eventually took the lead when Dan Smith poked home the opener from close range. Greenfield went on to miss a few great chances but we took the advantage into half time, with us the happier team at the break.

Soon after Dan Smith curled in an excellent free-kick, to get his second for the game. He went on to convert a controversial penalty and bag himself a hat-trick. The opposition pulled one back late on, as the game became scrappier and scrappier, but Johnston held on for an important win in their race for the title!   

Theyears 7sfaced Valley Garden Middle School in the Tyneside cup, and it was the dream start for us scoring a goal in the first 10 seconds without VGMS touching the ball! On a difficult pitch the home team started to play some good physical football and equalised just before half time.

After the break the some team changes we settled back into the game and scored two quick goals to break the home team efforts. DJ then played some quality football all over the pitch and after hitting the bar and the post a couple of times. We scored again to finally kill off the game. We held on well closing down hard but VGMS managed to get a constellation goal.

Final score, 4-2. Well played Joe Hugill who got himself 4 goals.     


Football ambassador, Sonny Childs




Football Review 5thFebruary


It was the first of three upcoming semi-finals for the VIth form team, and the first eleven a-side game after the winter break. I’m not going to lie, I went on a couple of runs to get to some sort of match fit!

So we were against St, Johns. Big, big history with them, and we are always guaranteed a close heated game, and this one did not disappoint. We played at St. Johns’ new AstroTurf pitch. It was a specimen. So the standard of play should be just as good. Unfortunately we were playing in storm Henry.

We were off to a decent start, mainly up and down the right hand side of the pitch due to the wind, giving our right mid and right back a hard time. Our first goal came from Joe Barker. The ball was cut across the box to him, where he must have had flash backs from year 11 when he missed an identical chance to beat St Johns and win the league, but the ball bounced over his foot and he missed the open goal. But let’s not bring that up again. This time no bobble due to the pristine pitch and Joe finished calmly.

The next eventful moment was with Patrick Brown. A chip through ball came over his head, and I’m not sure if the wind took it or he didn’t want to get knocked out heading it. So he resorted to handballing it! Nothing came from the St. Johns free kick so a very tactical play from Patrick.

The wind picked up, and we had to face a spell of pressure. Not helped by my miss kick from a pass back which went for a corner! The corner was initially dealt with, but as the ball re-entered the box there were a couple of unmarked St. John players at the back, and they took their time and put it away. So 1-1, we just had to hang on for the remainder of the half so we could capitalise with the wind in the second half.

St. Johns had one last chance in the first half, similar to their first goal. A player found himself with room inside the box after a cross. I anticipated the shot with the wind, so I dived to my right, and of course he shot down the middle. Luckily I produced a David de Gea style save with my leg to keep us level.

The second half was underway, it was clear that the next goal would be crucial in deciding which team would go to the final. The longer the game went on the spicier the challenges in midfield were getting, with many words thrown around after them. It was a very stop start game, this gave Mathew Mitchell a free kick from the half way line. He was stunned that he had to take it and he looked to the bench for reassurance. Nevertheless he lifted up his arms, then sent the ball up into the wind where it came down missed everyone in the box, bounced then hit the bar! What a shame.

We took the lead again via a counter attack, the keeper saved the initial shot from Josh Bayley, thankfully James Lister got the rebound and put us 2-1 in front.

To round off the game, we needed to run the clock down. This was going well with some shielding the ball in the corner and making simple passes. However Tom Calvert didn’t quite get the idea as he tried a no look pass, which failed to find anyone on our team!

With relief we managed to wrap the game up. Once again the team showed great character and I am  sure we will do the same in the next semi.

Football ambassador, Sonny Childs    

Football Review 8th January



It is the first Football match review of 2016 and I am glad to deliver you the Futsal Special. Our VIth form entered two teams into the tournament, which were split by upper sixth and lower sixth. Sadly the only teams to enter despite us was two teams from Park view, where the tournament was held, on the bright side we had a 50% chance of taking the trophy back home!

So how does Futsal differ from normal eleven aside, well: its indoor, pass-ins replace throw-ins, its 5 aside, and there is a heavier smaller ball.

When we got there we did a final read through of all the rules and pointed out to our colour blind player which line marked the pitch. Finally we were under way and the first game was Durham Dynamos (upper sixth) vs one of Park View’s teams, let’s call them Park View Vipers. Surprisingly only one goal was scored this game. It was probably just both teams adjusting to the format. But Joe Barker needed no time to adjust as he was “killing it” out there according to himself. Shame he got subbed off!

We pulled though to get the victory and the next game on was Johnston Jaguars (lower sixth) vs the other Park View team let’s call them Park View Pandas . The Park View team went 1-0 up, and looked the better side. Couple minutes later the Jaguars managed to pull one back.  After this the Park view team took a shot from kick off which got deflected and went in putting them 2-1 up, only to be disallowed due to them taking it too early. From having the potential win the Pandas were gutted as Jack Vaults was on a run and took it around the keeper and tapped it in with only seconds to spare, to steal the win.

The Dynamos were back on just after Mathew Mitchell changed from his jogging bottoms to shorts as he didn’t feel the need to slide! We were against the team that was beating our lower sixth, and they were beating us 2-0, it would be quite a mountain to climb considering it is only a ten minute game. That was all the time we needed, the first goal came, and then the Pandas made too many fouls and a rule in Futsal after 3 fouls you get a long penalty. Who would take this penalty at such a crucial stage in the game? It would have to be the man who mas “killing it”. Joe steps up drills it low, and the keepers saves it, thankfully the ball drops to Gradey Fairburn’s feet and he finishes it to bring us back level. Very similar story to the Jaguars vs Pandas game, we dug even deeper and managed to get one more and goal and clinch the game from the opposition with little time to spare.

After this the Johnston Jaguars beat the other Park View team, the Vipers. A few spicy tackles in this game and our lower Sixth still managed to wrap up the win.    

This led us onto the third and fourth playoff between the Vipers and the Pandas. A one sided game but good to watch with a wild number 8 trying pot of golds left right and centre. This number 8 was constantly getting behind the defence but was not being clinical enough with his chances. Throughout the tournament he kept slipping over, but his best fall by far was when he finally got his deserved goal and decided to celebrate by lifting his top over his head and as soon as he started running slipped over once again!

Right. Now to the main event. The final. The two Durham Johnston teams meeting, not only playing for a trophy but for bragging rights.

It seemed to be too big of an occasion for the lower sixth, maybe this or the fact that they were playing against their heroes put them off their game. So the upper sixth went 2-0 up in the first half, with the first coming from Gradey who was “brining it” he said a half time. The second goal was a sublime move from Josh Bailey sending Mitchell Richardson through whom back-healed it back to Josh, and Josh hit it first time into the back in the net. At this moment the lower sixth looked stunned. This shock continued as Robert Mitchell had a great chance in front of goal but somehow I managed to deny him the goal by pulling off a triple save. I wish I could say more about this, but due to the heavier ball and the chance that it would hit me in the face, I was closing my eyes in fear for the majority of it!

Half time and a moment for the year below to gather themselves, and argue about the substitutions they needed to make. They were a miles better in the second half. Piling the pressure on us but we were a fortress at the back, managing to hold out corner after corner.

They finally got one back with Tom Calvert aiming far post but the ball ending up near post, it did enough to fool me and probably himself!

But it would have been cruel not to have given them one goal; maybe they can win it next year. Overall great event made sweeter by winning. This will be the theme for 2016, with the quintuple now on the cards.

Top goal scorers are Joe Barker “killing it” on 2 and Gradey Fairburn “bringing it” on 2 as well.  


Football Ambassador, Sonny Childs




Friday 11th December Report


The fans favourites VIth form team were back, and faced St. Bedes in the quarter final, of the third cup we are in at the moment.

Some players could only play the first half, as they have had an IFS exam, but we still managed to get a 4-2 victory.


The first half was with wind for us, and we used this advantage to box in St Bedes. Jack Vaults getting the first goal with a header, there were appeals that the ball didn’t go over the line but the goal was given.

The next goal came from James Lister after Gradey Fairburn slipped in him for an easy finish, and to make it 3-0 James Lister was involved again with some precise dribbling in the box trying to get his shot away, and was eventually taken out, resulting in a penalty, which Mitchell Richardson took with a FIFA style burying the ball into the roof of the net straight down the middle.

Tom Calvert hit the jackpot with a cheeky nutmeg, leaving his opponent embarrassed and scarred. There was only one real chance from our opposition in the first half, but I manged to tip it onto the bar and collect the ball afterwards.


Half time approached, some substitutions made and some time spent retrieving all the balls that left the pitch due to the wind!


Second half was under way, and the wind picked up even more, so much so that I couldn’t take a goal kick without the ball moving. Now we were under pressure and struggling to get the ball out of our own half, but Jack Vaults did his best to relieve this pressure by running with the ball out of our half into theirs a few times.

Finally we conceded a goal (only the second of this season); I received a pass back from Ben Trinder-Bywater with not much room to work with, so I went to clear it, and the ball rebounded straight off the striker who was closing me down, and of course rolled right into the goal. In hindsight I wish I took the player on.

So at 3-1 St Bedes thought they were back in the game, but we closed the door on them with a counter attack after a St Bede corner. Robert Mitchell ran most of the pitch, laid off Tom Calvert who slotted it into cement the win.

But Tom just before the end of the game gave away a pointless free kick which ended up being a goal. The cross came in, and landed on the back of a St Bedes players head, then off the post and back across the face of goal which was followed up by a St Bedes player to end the game  4-2.


So this is how we are looking going into the winter break.

Top of the league

In three semi-finals

Leading goal scorer: James lister with 5 goals

Joint second: Mitchell Richardson, and Ben Cahill each on 3 goals

Best Goal: still that South Moor keeper’s header!


The year 10s had a disappointing defeat. Made worse by the fact that, they had the lead and threw it away in the second half. Olly Johnson got another goal, adding to his tally this season. Throughout the first half Durham Johnston dominated, and it was a big shame that the lead was not extended, as in the second half we switched off, conceding two goals and we could not find a way back into the game. Not the best way to end the year but I’m sure after some Christmas dinner the year 10s will be back to winning ways.  




Football Review 20thNovember



It was not the dream start for Year 7’s in their quarterfinal game, as they went one down within ten minutes. But the ever reliable Joe Hugill scored two to give Johnston the lead going into half time.

Unlike the first half we started well, with a confident attacking play, leading to Yann McGowan placing one in the back of the net and cementing our dominance on the game.

There was a spell of dodgy play by us, but we held out, and were rewarded with Leo Garbutt getting his name on the scoresheet. So the final score 4-1 to Durham Johnston, and we are through to the semi-final, love to see you there for some more support.



Football ambassador, Sonny Childs    




Football Review 13 November



Only the one game this week, and it was our ever successful Year 7’s. This week they won 12-0.

Despite the score line it took a little while for the initial break through. It was Joe Hugill to break the deadlock with a quality finish. We were quick to reinforce our lead with Yann McGowan once again getting the ball to the back of the net.

Leo Garbutt got a goal and two for Morgen Stout made it look impossible for a comeback from the opposition.

We still have more goals to get through and they went down by the following: two for Charlie Phillips, another one for Joe Hugill, Oli Stewart with one and a goal each for the centre backs, well done Will Robson and Nathan Marsden.


 To tonight and the big game, not England vs Spain, but the year 7’s Country cup quarter-final against St. Leonards. Good luck I am sure if they play like they have been then it will take a very special team to beat them.


Football ambassador, Sonny Childs           


Football Review 16/10/15



We start this week with the ever consistent Y7’s and they played two and as expected won two.

Their first game was against Staindrop, we brushed them off easily winning 12-0. Main mam Yann McGowan got himself another four goals. I am running out of things to say about this guy, but he just cannot be stopped! Joseph Bennet and Oliver Stewart scored two each, and Alexander Lythgoe and Leo Garbutt also got on the score sheet.

For the Y7’s second game this week they were in the Tyneside cup against St. Cuthberts, who are not a push over as they are experienced in winning this cup before. But not surprisingly we blew them away winning 5-0.

The goal breakdowns are as followed: two for Oliver Stewart, two for Joe Hugill and another goal from Yann McGowan. Very well done to the whole team, and the fact that they didn’t concede a goal all week should not be missed.     


The Y10’s also played against Staindrop, and started poorly but managed to take the lead, creating a great platform for us to build on. But Staindrop did not let their heads drop and got the equaliser, causing the game to be a lot tighter then we would have wanted. Unfortunately the next goal went Staindrop’s way, and despite our best efforts we could not get the goal back. Resulting in Durham Johnston dropping three points in the league.


Parkside came to Durham Johnston to face our Y11’s. We got off to the perfect start scoring within the first two minutes, from Callum Hodgson. He was given the ball by Mathew Pinkney; Callum turned his defender and placed the ball bottom left.

This partnership continued, with Mathew giving Callum another opportunity in front of goal to get the second of the game and Callum did with his right foot.

Into the second half now where Jake Hugill got the third with a timely finish into the bottom right hand corner. Johnston controlled the game throughout and Callum finished off his hat-trick with a header from a corner whipped in by Stefan Werres, rounding off a solid 4-0 victory for Durham Johnston.     


I am gutted to tell you that the VIth forms clean sheet record has come to an end. It was South Moor in the quarterfinal who did this but we will come to this goal later.

South Moor sported a bright pink kit. This was not the only stunning thing to see on arrival as they also had a 6”9 goalkeeper!

He couldn’t stop James Lister who got two in the first half, and went on to complete his hat-trick in the second, managing to take the ball round the keeper twice. He was not the only player to do this, as Mitchel Richardson also exploited the keeper’s lack of pace and took it round him leaving himself with a tap in.

Robert Mitchell and Gradey Fairburn both opened their VIth form scoring accounts. Robert with two and Gradey with one. These goals went low under the keepers as he struggled to get down in time. Josh Bailey got his second of the season with a tap in from one yard out.

But importantly the goal we conceded.

It was not scored by any outfield player on their team, or even an own goal.

South Moor found themselves with their first corner. At this moment its 7-0 they have nothing to lose so they call upon their 6”9 keeper to make his way up into our box! Only a few steps later and he has made the journey.

He has a good five inches over anyone on our team so we triple mark him to try and take him out of this set piece.

At this moment I knew we were in trouble of keeping our undefeated status at the back. But surely the corner taker will not be able to put it on their keepers head with his first corner of the game.

He did.

And without their keeper even jumping he won the header, and like a born striker placed the ball inch perfect off the post and in!

Still like a born striker he let another goal in straight after the restart!


It’s a shame to concede but when it’s with these circumstances it sooths the blow.

Final score 8-1 Durham Johnston. Roll on Semi Final.

Man of the Match: South Moor’s 6”9 goalkeeper. Well done that man.     


Football ambassador, Sonny Childs




Football Review 9th October


I am pleased to report that the VIth form won their game last Friday night with time to spare for the players to get to the boat party!

Little warm up was needed, as it was quite a trek from where the bus dropped us off to the pitch. The first half had little drama apart from a stop from their keeper denying James Lister scoring a free kick.

Into the second half we got the break through from one of Eshmel’s abnormally long thrown-ins right into the mixer, then followed some scuffles and an attempted overhead kick by Mitchel Richardson, and finally the ball landed next to Josh Bailey’s feet, he tapped it in for his first goal of his VIth for career. Bit of a surprise as he started every game of last season!

Shortly after came the second. James Lister from outside of the box with some swerve. The keeper did not stand much of a chance.

Possibly everyone’s favourite part of the game was with our sub Zane Stockil, who played a very important role in the game as he kept coming on and off due to many players within the game taking little knocks and needing some time to walk it off. While Zane was on the pitch he found himself with the ball running down the line and then his glasses fell off. He somehow carried on with the ball still at his feet and remarkably ended up taking it past two more players but this absurd run finally came to an end. Luckily his glasses did not break either.

Adding to the score sheet was Joe Barker to make it 3-0 from a well composed counter attack, this was the final nail in the coffin.

This week the VIth form played in their second derby of the season. St Leonards at home. It rained all day long which helped the sliding tackles but not so much the grip for the goalies. Despite this we achieved another clean sheet, making us unbeaten at the back in three games.

To take the lead Gradey Fairburn won the ball deep in their half and slipped in Mitchel Richardson who put it under the keeper. We looked the better team in the first half but didn’t manage to extend the lead further. Which left us with a lot of crucial defending to do in the second half, as we really found ourselves under pressure. So not an ideal time for four players to pick up injuries! But thanks to a bench full of talent, and a slice of luck, we held out this spell of St Leonards dominance and were rewarded at the other end. This came from a signature long Eshmel throw which landed at Ben Cahill’s feet who turned and tucked it away into the side netting.

This was the last touch of the game so the final score 2-0 Durham Johnston.


The Year 7s were at home to Ferry Hill, and it was another high scoring game of 12-0 to us. The Star men were Joe Hugill and Yann McGowan who both got four goals. This brings Yann McGowan tally of goals this season to 10. LeoGarbuttgot himself two great goals. Technically the best goal was by Charlie Philips as he managed to chip the keeper, which always takes a touch of class. Alexander Lythgoe held his composure and used his side foot to get his goal. The players are very pleased with their performance and wanting it to carry on into their next match.


The Year 10s were also at home against Ferry Hill, and the first half was said to be very boring, as little efforts from either team were made to challenge the keepers. It was a different story in the second half; we looked to want the game much more than Ferry Hill. This resulted in Finlay Gibson opened the scoring. Michael Herbert and Liam Graham backed him up to put some day light between the teams, and to wrap the game up Olly Johnson got two. Man of the match goes to Olly Johnson for his brace.

It must have been a good half time team talk from Mr Kidd to get the players to switch on.


Football ambassador, Sonny Childs          


Football Review 2/10/2015


The Year 7s faced their hardest competition so far. They managed to come back from 1 down to win 4-1. Joe Hugill scored 2 and Yann McGowan still on hot form from last week scored another 2. The year 7s are looking like a force to be reckoned with this season.

The Year 10s played St. Bedes and in the first half it was end to end action, yet no goals were scored, either team had their fair share of chances. Our best efforts were saved by the St. Bedes keeper, who really kept them in the game.

Then straight after halftime St. Bedes scored two great goals and for the rest of the game we were trying to pull it back to reach extra time. Eventually we got one back with ten minutes to spare. But this remaining time was not enough as we did not manage to get the equaliser to take the game to extra time.

It was a shame that the closest game this week did not go our way.

For the Year 10s second game of the week they faced Bishop Barrington. It was a poor performance by us, but we somehow managed to win 3-1. Many thanks to Dan Ferguson who bagged two, one of which was a curler into the top corner and the other was a fumble by the keeper.

To put the game to Bed Olly Johnson was in the right position at the right time to tap one in with ten minutes to spare, ending any chance of a comeback from Bishop.

It always good to get the job done despite not having a great game, it’s the sign of a quality team.   


The VIth form team are yet to play this week as our game on Wednesday in the cup was cancelled due to the other side pulling out since they couldn’t make a full team. It’s a shame not to get the game played but we will welcome the bye with open arms! Meaning that next Wednesday we are playing rivals St. Leonards at home in the cup. We hope to see you there.

But to the present as the VITH form are up against St. Aidans away tonight wanting a good result especially as we are a few players down.


Football Ambassador, Sonny Childs          


Football Review September 25/09/15


We will start the first week with the year group that scored the most goals. Over the two games this week the year 7’s managed to score a total of 24 goals, and only conceded 1.

The first game was 16-1, and there were many goal scorers, the highlight players were Oliver Stewart scorning 4 goals after coming on as a sub, Yann McGowan also scoring 4 and Mason Stout scoring a hat-trick.

But there are still 5 more goals and they went to Nathan Marsden, Luke Dale and finally Charlie Phillips scoring 2.

In the year 7’s second game it was 8-0 with the most memorable goal being scored by Oliver Stewart after great attacking skill by Joe Hugill and Charlie Phillips who took part in a great team goal.


The year 9’shad a comfortable win over Belmont 7-0, with Liam Graham sticking 3 in the net, and goal scores of Owen Chaplin, Alfie Philips, Moyo Adwumi and Joe Brown adding to the score sheet. The year 9’s were pleased with their performance and the fact that they kept a clean sheet.

This was a similar story in their game on Thursday as they kept it very solid at the back winning many fifty fifty’s, and they went on to beat St Johns 2-0 with Hadyn Harris scoring a screamer and Moyo Adwumi once again getting in on the action.

A special mention for Tyler Graham, playing a respected game by his team mates as he won countless tackles and headers.

Cracking week for the year 9 team.


The year 10’sprobably had the most intense game this week against St Johns. A goal in the last five minutes was scored; sadly it went to St Johns, causing them to steal the victory at 6-5.

Luke Seed battled hard in midfield and put in the best performance. Shame about the final result, but hopefully we can play them in the cup later and bit them. 


It was derby day for the sixth form team this week as we faced Durham sixth form centre in the league. Always a heated game especially with the fact that in their starting team there are some ex Johnston players.

We took the lead with Ben Cahill making a run, and despite the calls for offside by their keeper, Ben kept his cool and drilled it low and past him.

After this followed a large spell of Durham sixth form centre dominance, but this spell did not lead to a goal, due to the well organised defence and Josh Bailey sitting in defensive midfield winning vital challenges. This tight defence was good to see first game of the season, since many of the players have not played together before.

Relieving this pressure was a long ball which was flicked on, and resulted in James Lister colliding with their keeper, and a dubious penalty decision went our way. Up stepped Ben again to get his second of the game, and he sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 2-0.


Next half was started with some fresh legs and a return for Josh Kell after his year out and sixth form centre possession once again. We really struggled to get a grip of the game in the second half and surely an away goal was imminent. 20 minutes later, still away team dominance, yet still no goal. We were a fortress at the back, with people blocking countless shots and putting themselves on the line. This went on for the remainder of the game, and resulted with a clean sheet for the team.A great performance from the whole team, and the reserves that came forward for the game due to a few injuries . The season is looking very promising.  


Football ambassador, Sonny Childs